Budding Talent Vocal Competition
Budding Talent is an annual vocal competition open to performers in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Contestants can participate as a solo act, or as a group (up to 4 students, in the same age category). The contest provides young singers the opportunity to showcase their skills and perform on stage in the Charles W. Eisemann Center for Performing Arts during Richardson’s Wildflower! Arts & Music Festival in front of a live audience.
Live auditions for all applicants were held on Sunday, April 23, 2023, at the Richardson Senior Center, as well as the Finals at Wildflower! on Sunday, May 21. Contestants were grouped into five age categories:
Seedlings: Kindergarten – 2nd Grade
Sprouts: 3rd Grade – 5th Grade
Buds: 6th Grade – 8th Grade
Jr. Wildflowers!: 9th Grade – 10th Grade
Wildflowers!: 11th Grade – 12th Grade
2023 Finalist & Winners
Scarlett Thon (Winner)
Addison Nguyen (Winner)
Austin Miller (Winner)
Ava Cui and Michael Yu
Clara Lindh (Winner)
Lyric Lyons (Winner)
- Contestants must be of Kindergarten age (5 years or older)
- Contestants must complete the online application and have the option to include a link (Facebook, YouTube, etc..) to a 1-minute maximum length video performing a song of your choice.
- Contestants must include a current photo (headshot style) to be used in the Finals Program for those moving on to the Finals.
- Contestants will receive an email with live audition information, including timeslot and are required to perform at the live audition. If you have not received information prior to April 22, please check your spam folder.
- Contestants must perform a song from memory at the live audition in front of the Budding Talent panel of judges, and their age group peers.
- Song selection cannot exceed 3 minutes and no vulgar language or profanity will be allowed.
- Contestants may bring a phone for musical accompaniment to the audition (Bluetooth speakers will not be provided, please bring your own auxiliary cord), accompany themselves on an acoustic guitar or keyboard or bring an accompanist (keyboard is available if desired). No flash drives allowed.
- Small vocal ensembles of two to four singers are eligible, but bands are not eligible to apply.
- Parents are not allowed into live audition room with contestants.
- Selected finalist are invited to perform on the Singer Songwriter Stage in the Eisemann Center during the Wildflower! Arts & Music Festival on Sunday, May 21, at 1:00 PM.
- A mandatory meeting prior to the festival for all finalists will be held at the Eisemann Center.
- A prize package will be given to the winner in each age category.